View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Bush \"Supports the Cuban People\" While Maintaining Economic Sanctions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lincoln pretty much nixed this; states can no longer nullify Federal law.

[/ QUOTE ]

Specifically how did he do this, and how is it still kept in effect? And how do we change it back?

Amendment? Law? Court precedent?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to look up the details, but basically military conquest as said before. After the war the southern states were ejected from the Union (I [censored] you not) and as a condition of being allowed to re-enter, their legislatures (convened under the eyes of regional military dictatorships) were forced to amend their constitutions and ratify the 13th and 14th ammendments to the US constitution, IIRC.

For example, in my state's constitution:

"Sec. 4. Secession prohibited.

This State shall ever remain a member of the American Union; the people thereof are part of the American nation; there is no right on the part of this State to secede; and all attempts, from whatever source or upon whatever pretext, to dissolve this Union or to sever this Nation, shall be resisted with the whole power of the State.

Sec. 5. Allegiance to the United States.

Every citizen of this State owes paramount allegiance to the Constitution and government of the United States, and no law or ordinance of the State in contravention or subversion thereof can have any binding force."