View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: ***Official*** CNN/YouTube GOP debate

[ QUOTE ]

You ever been in the military? If you have you know that for singles who live on base, you usually have a roommate. Naturally they now assign you one of your same sex. So is the military just supposed to say tough [censored] to the joe who gets assigned a gay roomie of the same sex but violently objects to same? Or should they also assign housing by sexual preference, in which case one gay man might object to being assigned with a certain other, when there really aren't any other available choices. And what of family housing? An unmarried gay guy supposed to get a house instead of a barracks billet with his significant other when same isn't offered (assuming still the case) to unmarried straights?

This is a lot more complicated that you are making it out to be even aside from other problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having an openly gay roomate with a heterosexual one in the military doesn't necesarily mean that the gay person will be attracted to, or want to have sexual relations with their rommate.

I can think of lots of examples of gay and straight people living together as roomates - in fact, one of my own roomates might even be gay, I don't feel that he is sexually attracted to me, and if he was, he wouldn't act on it. The same could be said for different-gendered rommates. Just because a man chooses to live with a woman (this happens a lot in college) doesn't mean they are sexually attracted to each other, or if they were, any sexual relations between them would result.

I think the average American, especially the standard conservative-minded soldier, still has strong homophobic feelings, which is why we won't see (IMO) an openly pro-gay policy in the military. This is unfortunate and unequal for gays and lesbians, but it will take some time before the general public gets acclimated to having homosexuals in the military. The military is a conservative institution, conservative don't approve of homosexual behvaior, therefore we won't see a pro-gay military structure until this trend changes.