View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: PAHUD wanting to connect to the internet

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think it represents a security risk?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because PAHUD could be stealing passwords and other sensitive data and sending them back to its makers.

I trust PAHUD but that is an act of faith on my part. I don't actually know what it is sending when it phones home. That makes it a security risk.

I have a lot of security software on my machine. In general I am concerned by any application that is asking for permissions it doesn't need to do its job. PokerAce doesn't need internet access to be a HUD.

It's worth remembering that you don't always know who you are trusting. A couple of years ago a highly respected affiliate innocently distributed a rakeback calculator. Unfortunately the developer they hired secretly embedded a rootkit which circulated for months before someone detected it.

So there is a security risk here but hopefully it isn't serious. This thread represents a mutual lack of trust. Developers don't trust people not to pirate their software. Software users don't trust developers not to distribute trojan horses. They both have good points. Welcome to the 21st Century.