View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 02:20 AM

Default Re: onlide \"dating:\" interesting article

Article is worth a read. These super-trolls amaze me.

On one hand these people are completely nuts, but they are also capable of sustaining the myth for very long period, navigating all sorts of difficulties that should either blow their cover or frustrate them into stopping. The perseverance is amazing. Their motives are insane.

Just on 10 years ago my wife joined an internet board for expectant mothers. This sort of board is set up based on the month you are expecting, so during a pregnancy these woman can discuss things with other woman who are at basically the same stage of their own pregnancies. Often this is important as the minor details that no-one else is interested in are intensely interesting for the people involved. Over the 9 months or so that the board exists a lot of the posters get very close and share a lot of intimate details. Gifts are exchanged around the world and tears and joys are shared together.

Inevitably, given the size of the groups, there will be some tragedy and things get very emotional. When someone loses their child it can be very difficult, particularly as other members commence celebrating births and posting birth stories etc.

One lady tragically loses twins. Not being privy to all the details I don't really know the lead up, but suffice to say that it was a moving, very sad experience for all involved. There have been miscarriages and complications, so the story was not unique, but it had an impact on the people concerned. After a bit of sleuthing it turns out that the expectant mother of twins was a troll who does this with some regularity. Not just turns up with a sob story to post - but takes the time to post daily with these women, providing advice and support, sharing in the community for months and months and then dropping a bombshell. Who the hell would do this? Why pick expectant mums to troll?

It was both a head shaker and an eye opener.