View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: A Critique of Rothbardian Natural Rights (sorta long)

[ QUOTE ]

You're going to too much effort to try to make these exaggerated generalizations to make your point, as if everything is black and white. In describing our system you go from "dictatorship" to "mob rule" to "representative mob rule". You claim the terminology is not important, but I'd say those are all pretty significantly different. I'm not sure "representative mob rule" even makes sense. If it's representative then it's not mob rule. If you don't want me "playing semantics" then stop labeling things with attention-grabbing evil/negative sounding words.

[/ QUOTE ]

come up with your own label i dont care to keep trying. You keep explaining the difference between the terms but have yet to explain why that matters relative to the debate. Some people force other people into their way by WHATEVER THE MEANS. Stop playing games.

[ QUOTE ]
"You said that iraq was wrong because the system was forced."
No I didn't. I said
"invading countries and trying to force them to have the sort of government we want doesn't work well."
There's a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see the difference. Please elaborate.

[ QUOTE ]

It's good for countries where the vast majority of the population recognizes the democratic government as having some degree of legitimate authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

What level majority is necessary? Millions of shi'ites, the majority, support democracy in Iraq.

I still dont see why you think that anyone outside of those who find the legitimacy should be forced into the system. Why shouldn't democracies be entirely voluntary? Please defend why the systme must have the coercive element.

[ QUOTE ]

. It's good for settling political disputes without actual fighting and for preventing any one person or faction from becoming too powerful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iraq is an empirical proof that democracy is very ineffective at this goal.

[ QUOTE ]
If a country is in enough chaos and no one recognizes the government as legit then democracy is not going to help much. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iraq was not in chaos. Democracy created the chaos. To say no one recognizes the government is ridiculous. Only those who are getting their political and resource rights stripped from them are choosing to not respect the government because of the inherent failure of democracy to represent all the people rather than just a majority.

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't it ACers who have said that AC will only work in a society with libertarian social norms that respects property rights? If you agree with that then what sort of system would you consider best for societies in which that is not the case?

[/ QUOTE ]

They should adopt property rights. Unlike you, i actually have faith in my system to solve some problems somewhere. Anarchy's beauty is it allows for diversity. People can start kibbutz's, they can set up areas of voluntary democracy, watver.

Right now there are not enough property rights in iraq. If property right were presen i dont think its wrong to theoretically assume the society would be rid of the current problems and on a much more prosperous path.