View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 02:27 PM

Default Re: New hope for liberals

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It would be far more effective to bus in a "Big Brother" or surrogate parent with the authority to discipline them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has long been my belief, i.e., segregate the students (within the city) by their performance.
You have N schools that house only those students with minimal, if any disciplinary problems, and get A's & B's. This affords them the opportunity to further their quest in an environment that works in concert with their quest.
They get the best computers, the best sports programs, the best Arts programs, the most qualified teachers.
You house the students who are nothing but trouble in seperate schools, manned with armed guards to help prevent them from killing each other, and those in between in other schools.
Now, the students can SEE what rewards are available to them by taking a positive approach to their school years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grades cant be the sole criterion, since we know how inaccurate and subjective they can be. The NYC magnet and gifted schools (eg Bronx HS of Science) work pretty well, but the admissions process is pretty comprehensive, and that doesnt address the average students needs..they are still thrown into "blackboard jungle" schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it that you are saying there has not been an answer demonstrated and that you do not have one?
If so, is it your position that we stop spending money, and, how do we go about finding an answer?