View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: weird situation. is there any ethics consideration here?

About two years ago, I was playing live poker every day in the summer. Then on one day, I decided to go to the restroom and came back and the table hit the jackpot. Luckily, another fellow was in the restroom too so I felt less pain. This fellow suggested that each person gives us $50 for missing the hand. The table turned silence.

About 30 minutes later, the person who won the jackpot (about 8k or so) threw me and the fellow $100 / each. Now $100 wasn't all that much but I'm a sucker for nice gestures.

About 20 hours into the session, the jackpot winner and I were in a pot. I had 67. Flop is 667. Lots of betting and raising on flop and turn. On river, I put him on A6 and shoved. I told him that since he was generous, I'll let him know that I had "flopped it." He sat there for 5 minutes contemplating what "flopped it" meant and whether I was bluffing him. After all, I was an Asian Youngun. Then he folded and I obviously showed.

I have never seen anyone that lose a big pot and smile so genuinely. For the next few minutes, he was proud of himself for giving me that $100.

Perhaps I was the sucker at the table.