View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Media Gives Mass Murderer His Dying Wish

thanks for the thread link - obv I don't have the time to go back and reread a year's worth of threads so any references to discussions that have already taken place are welcome

sorry I read "exploding" as "exploiting". I wasn't being snarky for no reason, I was simply saying that in so many other posts you are so vehement about the fact that if a business is providing something and is profitable in a market it is proof that it is "good" - not in the sense of "good" as in "I like it" but "good" as in allowing people to freely choose what they want

--

sure you are welcome to say hey that artist sucks, I think people that buy her albums have no taste, but in this case you are coming much closer to saying hey this news coverage sucks, I think society would be better off if they stopped showing this psychopath's face and playing his words 24/7

--
(start brief thread hijack)
I think this is a perfect example of the mystification/alienation of a capitalist system in that it obscurs the true social costs of production and consumption decisions so that people "rationally" choose something they wouldn't have rationally chosen in a much different socioeconomic system

eg; if an alien race came down to the US 100 years ago and said hey, we'll give you this fantastic technology that allows you to move places at 10 times the speed of your horse and buggies, but you have to hold a lottery every year and randomly select 100,000 people that we can kill, people would be like get the [censored] out of town

capitalists often refer to this cost obscuring as externalities and believe that the freer a market is, the more these externalities will be able to be internalized

i refer to them as the natural outgrowth of a socioeconomic system that incentivizes individual profit over social wellbeing