View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: PLO8 MTT - Flop Decision Early in Tourney

It depends on how you want to play.

Some people (and usually I am one of them) would say that you should push here for the purpose of either accumulating a lot of chips early or donking out (hence the term) and moving on to the next $5 tourney. This approach is often best if you are capable of playing well late and making a lot of top 3s.

OTOH, you completely missed, and there are going to be better spots. Even in a donkament someone out of these three has A2 90+% of the time. In a cash game with competent players, not folding is surely -EV, but in a MTT those chips are of enough value that you might consider a push.

Remember, it's a donkament because the seeming donk play of pushing here has value in that you can accumulate chips early & try to go deep, or be done and not waste your time.

I think that this is an interesting hand and interesting decision. The answer seems obvious, but it isn't because there is SO much value in doubling or tripling up on level 2 of a big MTT. If I am right and it is an open question, then two things come of it IMO:

(1) Since lots of people play LAGgy this way, there is lots of money to be had by taking a TAG approach.
(2) The donk that pushes with your hand into that board is going to win often enough to make it worth his while and piss you off if you are playing TAG.

So it's really a question of your approach to MTTs. In this particular hand, without any specific reads, I'm folding 90% of the time.