View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Help me plan a trip to Dublin & Glasgow

[ QUOTE ]
1) What's the best way to get from place to place? I'm thinking flying round trip from Los Angeles to Dublin, and in the middle having a round trip from Dublin to Glasgow for the second show, so we can hang in Glasgow too, but come back to Dublin to catch the flight back to L.A. Is this OK? Or should we just like take a ferry from Dublin to Glasgow and ferry back? Are there ferries? Are they cost-effective?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably your best bet. LA to Dub and then return flights to from Dublin to Glasgow. With Ryanair you'll flying into Glasgow Prestwick, about 30 miles from central Glasgow. With Aer Lingus you'll fly into Glasgow airport in Glasgow's suburbs. The boat isn't really an option as you'd have to get that from Belfast (about 2 hours on the train) and you'd have to get the train again when you get to Scotland to get to Glasgow.

[ QUOTE ]
3) I'd love some ideas of what to do in Dublin when we get there. We might arrive Fri. morning Feb 8, the day before the first show, so we'll have 36 hours on our own. Any recommendations? And what about lodging -- B&Bs? Hostels? Hotels?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hotels are relatively cheap and of a high standard. I'd recommend staying on the south side of the City, around the Stephens Green area.. It's probably the most central spot for nightlife. If you have a bit of time, the usual tourist stuff is good.. Guiness Hop Stores, Dublin Castle, Temple Bar etc.. More at http://www.dublintourist.com/

[ QUOTE ]
5) Weather -- I've heard Dublin doesn't get that ridiculous in the winter for some reason. True? I'm a pussy when it comes to cold weather so I'm afraid. Glasgow... aiya. It sounds like I'm going to turn into a block of ice. Is it really unbearable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dublin is fine during the winter.. Tradewinds from the carribean keep the weather settled and temps reasonable all year all year around. It's generally overcast with temps of about 4-8C, about 39-46F. Glasgow is fairly similiar although a bit colder.

Let me know if you need to know anything more.