View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Pot control or protection? Discuss this texture

[ QUOTE ]
I hate a check here for the exact reason you stated in the OP. "Many broadways have a draw" There is no way I let AQ draw to there straight for free. Also, if a person has AK here, you should be getting as much money in here as possible. Sure, you could be CR'd, and then you would have a fine idea of where you stand: beat. I think that checking here might keep the pot small, but I also think that it can lose the pot for you plenty of times.

[/ QUOTE ]

The straight draw is only a longshot with 4 outs. Does this make protection so important that I want to play a big pot on this board?
Consider! It's a 3bet pot, i.e. villain has less than 2 pot sized bets left. So when I bet the pot here and he pushes, I'll be getting better than 2:1. Do I want to be in that position?

As I said, I suspect villain to be nitty, so I think that he won't go all the way with AK. So when I can only win maybe a 3/4 pot or full pot more from him, why shouldn't I try to get closer to showdown?

When I have his range crushed, why do I want to take the pot down? As I said, draws are more or less longshots. So why shouldn't I try to induce a bet by a second best hand?