View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Why Russ Meyer Matters

[ QUOTE ]
Story I heard from Roger Ebert when he asked Russ Meyer how he wanted to be remembered. Russ said he wanted on his grave this quote by Charles Keating:

"More than anyone else in his time, Russ Meyer was responsible for the decay in values in American Society"

under which Russ wanted carved:

"I was glad to do it - Russ"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, a Russ Meyer thread! And double wow for it being a Russ Meyer thread where people aren't making fun of his movies! I never read the lounge because (among other things) my taste in movies is very different from most of the forum regulars, but maybe it's not as different as I thought. Anyway, I liked diebitter's story about Ebert and Meyer, and it reminded me of another story Ebert told about Russ that I'll repeat here to the best of my ability.

Russ was on his deathbed and Ebert went to visit him for a final time. By this point Meyer was ravaged by alzheimer's disease. He didn't know who he was or what he had accomplished, and had long since lost the ability to recognize his friends. In the midst of the depressing visit a nurse walked in to attend to what was left of the filmmaker. After she left Russ sat up, turned to Ebert and said "no tit.s on that one."