View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Society, Intuition and Logic

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually Kurto people don't realize that while they are drawing logical conclusions some of the time they are actually using their intuitive senses almost constantly. Its just that people attach a greater consciousness to logical than to intuitive thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm saying though is that often times intuitive thinking IS logical. Its just not happening at the forefront of conciousness. Oftentimes, I may act intuitively at the spur of the moment. But, when asked to analyze, I can often deduce what factors led me to act a certain way. I can formally deduce what was happening 'intuitively.'

I can also sometimes deduce why my intuition was wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
So you've got to wonder are some people's intuitions more reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect they are. And there's probably a logical reason for it. Poker is an easy example. A good poker player may claim he uses intuition. In reality, he's played 1000s of hands, noticed patterns in people's behaviours and acts accordingly. He may not be able to articulate what he knows intuitively... but make no mistake, that intuition is simply a sharp mind reacting to the information about poker and people that its collected over many hours of playing.

Some people have poor intuition because they're making incorrect conclusions based on the information available or misinterpreting cues.

There's no need to bring in the paranormal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course some peoples intuitions are more reliable. I guarantee you that if you give me a genetics or anatomy or medicine question that I've never heard of before and do not know the answer to but ask me to take a quick guess, my intuition is going to be better than yours. Similarly, there are many areas in which your intuition would easily trump mine. Thats because intuition is trained. A physicists intuition for physics problems is much better than mine.

Havent you guys noticed how much better your poker intuition has gotten over the years?