View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Battling Procrastination

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest doing what you need to do and stop being lazy. Maybe that's too easy, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anything that one actually "needs" doing? What is your idea of calling someone lazy? Not doing anything or not doing what he thinks should be done?
Usually my idea of lazy involves someone who doesn't want to do anything if it requires any effort.
Deciding to do exercise or read instead of doing work doesn't seem to be something to describe someone as lazy.
I didn't grow up in the American environment where work is the all important thing, so maybe I just have different views of what constitutes laziness and what constitutes procrastination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. You could nitpick my choice of words, or you could take a second and try to understand what I mean. But maybe you're just too lazy for that [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that you understand that there is a significant difference between being lazy and procrastinating. At the end of the day, if the early bird and the procrastinator both finish their projects by the deadline, what is the difference?

The problem presented is that even though procrastinators are able to finish thier projects, etc., they are still a bit troubled by the methodology they choose. Even though the obvious "solution" is to finish projects as they first appear, procrastinators just cannot seem to operate in that fashion.

In my experience, when I was working in firms, etc., I never took a day off when I had a bunch of deadlines swirling in the air and I was always relied upon to "be the rock" when the office was going to hell and people were needed for overtime. However, if I knew there were only a few minor things on my plate, there would be a good chance that I would phone in sick.

I suppose that I, along with many other procrastinators, don't really enjoy thinking about how or why we do things as we do. The only time it really becomes much of an issue for me is when I am going through a slow period (procrastinating) and am contemplating getting a few things out of the way. Ineveitably, however, I just let things slide and when it reaches critical mass, I go to work and get it all done (without really stressing over the fact that I could have done ALL of the projects ad hoc over the previous week or so rather than in five-solid hours).