View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Stud 8: did I miss a bet?

I'd like to know whether you play 3rd here & especially my play on 5th. Also, can anyone comment on the utility/frequency of raising on 3rd with a Q or K? Based on what I've read & lived, it doesn't seem like a solid play unless you're last to act and have an opportunity to (basically) steal.

Having the king tipped me over the edge to calling. Is this sound logic?

I see lots of players in my game playing a high card aggressively into a low draw. These hands generally get to HU on 4th with the (alleged) pair+ held by the aggressor trying to push the low draw out. Am I right to think that an aggressor playing a non-ace high card should tread more lightly than this? Or am I missing opportunities?

Also, the kill skews the pot odds involved in defending your BI or kill on 3rd. Can anyone take a swing at how?

Anyhoo:

20/40 Stud/8, $3 ante, live action, 8 handed. Villain plays OK but gets out of line from time to time (IMO) playing high-only hands.

I was posting a "kill" of $20 because I had scooped the previous hand, so on 3rd I was calling $20 & last to act into a pot of $81.

Seat 1: [xx] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] -- folds
Seat 2: [xx] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] -- brings in -- folds
Seat 3 [xx] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] -- folds
Hero [K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] -- calls $40
Seat 5: [xx] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] -- folds
Villain: [xx] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] -- raises to $40
Seat 7: [xx] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] -- folds
Seat 8: sitting out

4th:
Hero [K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] -- calls
Villain: [xx] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] -- bets

5th:
Hero [K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] -- checks
Villain: [xx] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] -- checks

6th:
Hero [K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] -- bets
Villain: [xx] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] -- calls

7th:
I don't remember my card. I bet out, villain folded.