View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Los Angeles: Things To Do And Places To Go

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Besides eat food, what is there to do in LA

[/ QUOTE ]

Loc: Los Angeles

Kinda funny, but still a good question. Like, what do single people do in LA? My gf and I don't need much more besides dinner and a movie, but I'm curious what else goes on out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work in entertainment as do alot of my friends - so this is a driver of social stuff for me (e.g. parties, premieres, events etc.). This is probably true for many people in LA.

But the answer to your question is really: I do stuff with my friends that I'd do in any other city, except in LA there are a ridiculous amount of options and it helps the weather is always perfect. Of course just boils down to personal preference (I norebang all the time, but I mean yeah that's not everyone's cup of tea), but here are some broad categories of stuff that LA has to offer:

1. Concerts - LA of course gets every band rolling through and performing, and there are some great venues. The Hollywood Bowl is one of the best venues for a concert in the country imo, with the Greek not too far behind. Walt Disney Concert Hall is amazing also.

2. Cultural Stuff - I think it's pretty laughable when people are derisive about LA's lack of "culture". The city hosts several premier museums (the Getty is probably my 2nd favorite museum to the Bilbao), LA Phil is just ridiculously good, and there's a thriving local art scene (check out Artwalk at the Brewery Lofts downtown), with a major emphasis on design and architecture. Also, obviously, strong theater scene.

3. Hiking / Parks / Beach - pretty self explanatory, I hike in the Palisades there are some great trails there. I live right by Griffith Park (the Observatory is great btw, really worth a trip go at night) and also think Lacey Park in Pasadena and Will Rogers are nice spots for picnics. And I like all the Malibu beaches but tend to go to Zuma.

In general, my guess is LA is one of the few cities in the US that truly has "something for everyone". I'd say the same is true in NYC (well, I guess minus the outdoorsy stuff) and to a lesser extent SF / Bay Area, but can't speak to anywhere else as I haven't lived there.

-Al