View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Jeff Hwang PLO Book

I suppose it might be somewhat flattering, but let’s put aside for a moment the improbability of some fanatic taking cheap shots at me on an Internet forum where nobody knows me yet. There are a couple of points I would like to clear up, starting with how unlikely it is for me to “hate online poker and people who play online,” given:

1. Did Congress Kill Online Poker? - 10/3/06
http://www.fool.com/investing/small-...ine-poker.aspx

2. I was four-, five-, and six-tabling PLO games online before PartyPoker shut us out.

3. I’ve played about a zillion hands of Omaha online, and in fact recommend that anyone interested in learning to play PLO takes their licks online. It is a virtual certainty that anyone learning to play PLO is going to make mistakes, and mistakes in PLO tend to be expensive. It is best to learn the expensive lessons cheaply in small stakes games online rather than in the card room.

That said, my objection isn’t actually to people who play poker online; my objection is when someone who plays online virtually exclusively (such as BvlyHls90210) presumes to tell me who I should and shouldn’t make friends with in the card room. Also, while I would characterize Engine Block’s assessment as mostly fair, the idea that I hold people “who don't play ‘[my]’ games with a lot of disdain” is a misperception; my objection is when someone exhibits strong opinions on games they don’t even really play, or when someone (such as BvlyHls90210) has such strong opinions on a book that he hasn’t read on a game (Omaha) that he doesn’t even play for micro limits.

I also think it might be a little presumptuous to characterize material that to this point very few people have seen. I will say that the book runs about 320 pages, though probably half of them are practice hands. About 100 pages of the book is on limit Omaha Hi/Lo, and another roughly 40 pages on PLO Hi/Lo.

The PLO Hi material itself is a concerted deep stack strategy centering primarily around the straight draws. The Big Play Objectives themselves are:

1. The Nut Straight Freeroll
2. The Nut Full House Freeroll
3. Set-over-Set
4. Flush Over Flush
5. Overfull vs. Underfull
6. Top Set-Plus
7. Dominating Draws

The third chapter covers the straight draws in depth, which yields the beginnings of proper starting hand construction.

Chapter Four is the deepest look at starting hands yet. Our goal is to play only hands that meet the Big Play Objectives. After covering playable hands by type (such as rundowns and wrap hands, suited-Ace hands, pair-plus hands, and AA hands), we classify the hands as either Premium, Speculative, Marginal, and Trash. The classifications help dictate pre-flop playing strategy.

Chapter Five is After Flop

Chapter Six is Practice Situations and Hand Quizzes. I think there are about 35 practice situations and maybe 20 hand quizzes.

Chapter Seven is Miscellaneous Topics, including general ideas on bankroll management, as well as lessons from investors.

Chapter Eight is limit Omaha Hi/Lo, which includes over 20 practice hand quizzes.

Chapter Nine is PLO Hi/Lo, including 9 hand quizzes.

And I guess that's the book in a nutshell.

Jeff