View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Why does it matter if Hitler was atheist/Christian...??

Disclaimer: My personal bias is that Hitler wasn’t an atheist, as I explain below.

One of the reasons this argument is so important is because it once again shows a pick and choose mentality for theists. Redundant logic of “Hitler couldn’t be Christian because he did all those horrible acts, therefore he’s an atheist” shows the ability of Theists to detach themselves from anyone with a bad reputation. There is no “member card” for faith, so they can pick and choose after the fact.

Hitler believed in the supernatural, this is a pretty solid statement, which implies that he wasn’t an atheist. And while it shouldn’t be damning of Christianity directly, it should be noted as a severe disillusionment with reality. I’m sorry but if there is someone leading a nation that believes in the equivalent of “magic” a constituent should be able to point and say “There is no evidence to support your claims… “And Hitler provides a perfect example of what happens when you don’t question dogma.

Why does it get brought up? Because theists love to use some of his atheist remarks as testimonies to what happens “without a moral compass”. Atheist tend to look at his Christian statements and say “Dogma= obedience=malleability”

The moral of the story is that [censored] up people do [censored] up [censored]. The problem being that people who subscribe to dogmas are more likely to be manipulated. A group mentality is common in humans; we want safety in numbers, so if we’re not critical of any establishment we risk blind obedience.