View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Buying a Used car with cash

I JUST bought a used 2002 Honda CR-V EX with cash 3 days ago (ty poker). Sticker price was $12995, blue book on that car w/ features and miles was $14030, and he mentioned it had been on the lot for 2 months so I knew that they wanted to get rid of it.

After I inspected it, looked at the Carfax and repair record and test drove it, we began to talk about pricing. He tried to sell it to me for sticker, stating it had just been reduced but I lowballed the [censored] out of him and said, "I've actually got a few more dealers to check out, and about a month to find a car. I was looking for something around $11,000." None of this was true, I WANTED this car. He took it to the manager and brought back $11599, $1.4k off sticker. I said $11.5k out the door and he agreed. I wrote a check and we were done.

Point of the story is, it's more about the attitude you project and the way you negotiate rather than the financing method you're using. I didn't even mention financing with him, just stated I was financing outside of their dealership and that was it.

Hope I helped

PHOENIX