Thread: OOT Book Club
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: OOT Book Club

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought confessions of an econ hitman was a big let down. I was very excited when I started it but soon I grew tired of his constant moralizing, lecturing and agenda pushing. It would have been so much better if it was written by someone loved being an economic hitman, and who was cold blooded about the whole thing.

I too doubt how much is true

[/ QUOTE ] <a href="US State Department on CoaEHM" target="_blank">http://usinfo.state.gov/media/Archiv...html</a>

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean:

[ QUOTE ]
Perkins is apparently not aware that the National Security Agency is a cryptological (codemaking and codebreaking) organization, not an economic organization. According to its public Web site, it is restricted by law to two missions:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, great. And the President doesn't have the power to declare war, the CIA is not supposed to work domestically, and theoretically we get to decide on taxation without representation. None of these things actually occur.

I'm not saying the book is totally factually accurate, but there's not much of a surprise that the government rejected the book's premise by quoting official statistics.

The debt relief portion of the article isn't surprising; they could have granted debt pardons to countries they cannot suitably convert for military use.

The book might not be packed with truth, but the statement released by the government doesn't do anything to dissuade me from believing in it.