View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Re: IronChef Onion (with pics)

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with a Gibson as a drink except that it is run of the mill

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. I really just threw-together the drink at the last moment. It was mostly a fun afterthought to the appetizer.

[ QUOTE ]
I am also very jealous that you found such a good fishmonger / butcher. That salmon and those pork chops looks insane. How much per pound for each ? Where do you live?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry I don't remember the $/lb for the two meats. I do remember that the chops were $50 for the four and the salmon was $50 for enough lox for that dinner, Sunday's brunch, and Monday & Tuesday's dinner. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It wasn't cheap but, even on a grad student salary, good meat is a nice thing to splurge on. I'm a fan of local food and farm (instead of factory) meat. Having a great butcher/fishmonger helps with that a lot.

My butcher is Sawicki's, in Decatur, GA. I used to buy my meat from the local international market, but got really sick of their crummy, apathetic meat department. I witnessed a few labeling lies, and just got generally bad service. I really like that at Sawicki's, the woman fabricating my pork chop is Lynne Sawicki. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anybody in the Decatur/Atlanta area should check it out. When she moved in a few months ago, I was really worried about the store's survival (so bought too much meaty goodness), but she's definitely building more customers and seems here to stay. (And yet I still buy too much meaty goodness...)

[ QUOTE ]
IC

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that an important change is that we should have more time between entries. Something like a whole month. The 2-week pace last time was a little frenzied, and died out when the posters couldn't keep up. I'd rather posters forget about IC for a few days between updates than they get tired of constant posts.

The photo-unfairness is a big issue, but I don't think there's any getting around it. I happen to not get as competitive as others, but I do admit that I bought a dinky $8 tripod just for food. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]