Thread: theory question
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 05:28 AM

Default Re: theory question

Acevader, you look like you're generally agreeing with me but there's a couple of soft spots in your responses:

First, my post didn't need fixing - I used the terms "you're likely to get more value" and "relatively little risk" rather than use absolute terms for a reason. You are overlooking the risk that, if you just call, the villian will not put in any further chips unless his hand becomes better than yours, and also that you are not able to push him off bottom pair. Obviously I think the benefits outweight the risk, but there is still a risk worth mentioning.

If you shoved preflop with your superior hand here, it is impossible for you to make a mistake at any point. The most EV play he could make here is to fold. But if you call as I suggested, even with perfect information about his hand there is still the possibility you can make a mistake if your opponent plays perfectly. If he does flop, say, a 4 and check-raises you AI for example, he's forced you to make a mistake, which is why I had to qualify my statements.

Second,

[ QUOTE ]
This really is a pretty stupid question. If you know your opponents cards and he doesn't know that you know then you can make mega-money off him absolutely irrespective of your position or your own hole cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously anyone will make huge money of they could see their opponents cards, we're trying to get max value though.

Your best option will not always be to take a flop and try to outplay the guy as opposed to raising, which is what we're talking about here. Stack sizes and position will still matter often enough in terms of determining how you expect to extract the most EV and how you can play hands. In situations you will even have to fold preflop if the stacks were small enough.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd play any player in the world blind to my own hole cards provided I can at least see theirs!

[/ QUOTE ]

If they knew you were blind to your own cards, you'd be looking at a neutral EV game against a player who knew what they were doing. Equity vs a random hand will still give them FTP solutions.