View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Should Social Security be eliminated entirely?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Imagine you are the head of some govt department that manages this stuff. You can make plans for the future. One such option is scrapping the entire department based on the idea that it causes harm. Would you do it? Think about all those people around you and the powerful forces that creates. These are your buddies, your colleagues. Lots of moneys and interests are involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but imagine a true outsider ran for office on a platform of eliminating these programs entirely (except perhaps for the most basic coverage for the truly needy). My guess is that the American public would be outraged as the mere mention of eliminating SS/Medicare. But why? Wouldn't most people like to keep all that extra money they are working for? Don't people care that they are paying for some rich guy to go to the doctor for free, or to get a monthly SS check in addition to his investment returns /pension payments?

The whole concept seems out of whack to me. I am all for helping those who really need help, but I'm just not understanding why the average American not only doesn't mind social security, but seems outraged by any talk of eliminating it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's what Ron Paul is trying to do, isn't it?

My point would then be to realize what and who you are actually fighting against. You are fighting against all these special interest groups (which includes the bureaucracies and the politicians themselves), and the people in power who get this power because of this.