View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Should Social Security be eliminated entirely?

[ QUOTE ]
But why? Wouldn't most people like to keep all that extra money they are working for? Don't people care that they are paying for some rich guy to go to the doctor for free, or to get a monthly SS check in addition to his investment returns /pension payments?

[/ QUOTE ]

The rich guy paid in too, and he paid in more than the poor guy, so the intent is that the system be progressive that way, rather than just banning rich people from getting benefits.

[ QUOTE ]
The whole concept seems out of whack to me. I am all for helping those who really need help, but I'm just not understanding why the average American not only doesn't mind social security, but seems outraged by any talk of eliminating it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are outraged at the idea of not getting anything back for what they already put in. Their best hope of getting back what they've been promised 20 years from now is for the plan to exist 20 years from now with contributing citizens putting money in. The odds that current contributors will actually receive their benefit will go way down if the contribution stream is turned off.