View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Wow, that was racist

I think you two might mis understand the source of the prejudice against haoles in hawaii. while this explanation does not justify outright hatred and racism that's sometimes displayed (and I don't discount Blarg's experiences, but I do think it's not representative of typial attitudes in hawaii), it may help some understand the root of what you see today.

for hawaiians, the source is simple. the haoles stole their land. ancient hawaiians had no concept of private land ownership and this made it relatively simple for the white missionaries to come in and "legally" take ownership of a large portion of the islands. the white people, not satisfied with stealing plots of land, proceeded to annex the islands, effectively stealing most of what they hadn't already, in the name of the USA.

the other people of color (in approximate order: chinese, portugese, japanese, philipino, korean, puerto rica, other polynesian) were, for the most part, tricked into coming to hawaii by deceptive labor contracts that effectively made them into indentured servants on the sugarand pine fields. the holders of these contracts? the white land owners.

Today, many people in hawaii do paint haoles with a broad brush, but many do not. one problem is that many of the haoles that the locals see, day to day, are tourists displaying every bit of the ugly american stereotype. many american tourists have an ugly entitled attitude. they don't treat the people serving them with respect; they don't treat the islands with respect. they demand, they litter, they mock the people and the culture. some locals see this every day and are, perhaps understandibly, jaded in their attitudes against all haoles.

I also point out that there's often a huge difference between the way local haoles (the ones born and raised there and often the ones from long established local families) are treated and the way new residents are treated. again this comes down to respect for the people, cultures and land. new residents often come in with an "I'm the [censored]" attitude and are treated accordingly. In pigeon parlance, you gotta know how for act.