View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: why does this forum care so much about religion

[ QUOTE ]
Saying it doesn't make it so. To not choose is a choice. To eschew a Christian society is to choose the chaos that lies in the direction of a secular society.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of very secular countries in the world - I live in one - and they're doing just fine thanks. I don't think you're in any position to talk about the decline of society when the United States is in the process of abolishing fundamental civil liberties and is being enthusiastically cheered on by the strongly Christian section of the country.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to think of the most foul, doubtlessly Christian* world leader in the last century. Whoever gets the nod, he'll be small beer next to Stalin and Mao, or even Pol Pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go with Ceausescu, or Franco.

The point Sam Harris made in a speech the other day about the branding of "atheist" being no good is relevant to this argument. What luckyme and I want is the universal application of skepticism and reason, not atheism. There is no society or regime in history that has ever gone bad as a result of being too reasonable or too skeptical.