View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Feeling a little lost

Hey,

I don't play high stakes, but would like answers I can count on so I thought I'd post here.

I played poker casually for a couple years and am now making a real effort to improve my play. Over the last couple years I read the 11-12 standard NL books (2p2, Harrington, Gordon, etc.) and while they helped me go from bad to okay, none gave the information required to go from okay/decent to very good/great.

I consider myself an average player, and I scored 108 on the Donkey Test, affirming my estimation of my abilities (not sure how respected that test is, but I found it pretty interesting). Over the last couple years I'm a mild winner, though it's all just low-stakes mucking around. I have a 140s IQ, have a very good work ethic and have no problem understanding advanced mathematics, so I feel I could be substantially better than I currently am.

Now, my problem is I don't exactly know what I need to do to truly get better. I've read a bunch of books, I've played a fair amount. What I know I'm missing is a solid understanding of how to apply knowledge of ranges/combinations and equity and how to use that to select the highest EV lines, and how to factor in meta considerations. I feel this way for my pre- and post-flop game, though I think my pre-flop game isn't as leaky my post. This is, of course, the KEY to strong play and I understand why the information isn't readily available.

I'm currently studying Mathematics of Poker and have found it pretty enlightening. I now know a fair amount about ranging, combinations and how to correctly "solve" hands by ranging and calculating the EVs of all lines. Of course this requires PokerStove and Excel, but I can do it.

Now, if I were a savant, I'd be golden. Unfortunately I need a calculator to do the work. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] So, is the path to greatness for us mortals simply solving a bunch of hands for different situations so we can then recognize similar situations at the table and also find in those solutions heuristic principles that can be easily remembered and applied?

I do realize that there is data that the good players simply won't give as it would be bad for business, and I'm not asking for any handouts. I'd simply like to know if I'm going in the right direction or not?

If you've read this far and have some advice, I appreciate it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS. Even if I were good enough, I wouldn't play high stakes. I have a successful business and see poker as a hobby and intellectual pursuit/challenge--I just hate being bad or mediocre at things. I either want to be good or I quit, haha.