Thread: Why Limit?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Why Limit?

Lostwolf, the DeucesCracked guys will be able to explain this much better than I, but let me give you my opinion anyway.

If you're having trouble reading your opponents--and I assume you mean hand-reading--it might be because you aren't as good at it as you think. No offense meant, as most of us aren't as good at it as we think. Learning/playing no limit masks how good you are, because often the winning ability is as much psychological as technical. That playing the player thing.

Limit requires you to make good decisions more often than no limit. Many decisions in no limit don't go beyond the flop. All in on the flop and run out the cards to see who's the winner. Obviously, this never happens in limit. You must learn to play the turn and river to be winners. Learning post-flop skills as required in limit hold'em will only enhance your no limit game.

They really are two different games on every level--beginner to advanced--but the skills required with fixed limit make no limit players better. I don't think the reverse is true.

Many "winning" no limit players are weak at the math part of the game. No winning limit player can be. Short term results in no limit can be far more deceiving than fixed limit.

Finally, the biggest difference is where no limit is more of a strategy game than a tactical game, fixed limit is more of a tactical game than a strategy game. Over the long term, I believe the one who has better tactics will overcome the one who is strictly a strategist. The one who can do both is a really scary player.

CJ