View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1 Turn

This is why I advocated betting on the flop, we'd have a better idea where we stand, and we might've gotten a free card on the turn.

Instead we're stuck in a situation where we aren't really sure what to do. We've got a monster draw, that if it hits we're likely to have the best hand (straight or flush, provided the board doesn't pair)

But if we opt to raise, it will need to be to at least 4-5K, and then if we get smooth-called we must hit the river (or push with nothing if checked to) given the huge amount of chips in play.

If we get pushed against when we re-raise, are we going to just surrender half our stack, or take the risk and try to hit or go home?

If we smooth-call, as long as the SB doesn't come over the top, we're looking at a pot with 1950+1500+1500=4,950, which is half everyones starting stack.

It's likely that the CO will push all-in to try and take it down on the river, and he might be pushing into our rivered monster, so we have a shot to get all his chips.

But since this hand wasn't played as I recommended, I believe a smooth-call allows us to get away on the river with enough chips to continue playing in this tournament. But I still don't fault a re-raise, just be ready to commit all of your chips on this draw, which could've been avoided by a continuation bet on the flop.