View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: The Collective Wisdom of 2+2

lol

It was about a 6-pack.

When I started, I did the first dozen links by hand. That is, opening them and cutting and pasting the URL and subject then adding the UBB tags for links manually.

That was really retarded and would have taken me two weeks to do the whole thing.

So then I started cutting and pasting the raw HTML, reformatting and converting it to UBBcode. That was a lot faster.

I wanted it all in UBBcode because while mods can post in HTML, you can't edit HTML posts. They become UBB posts when you try which is a total mess. I wanted it in UBB so that I could edit it easily to add links or make corrections.

Turns out there's a limit to either the size of UBBcode posts or the number of links in them. After a certain point the links don't work anymore. Interestingly, this doesn't happen in PM's and I'd been PMing myself to double check there were no formatting issues (etc) along the way.

So it was only when I went to post that I discovered this problem. I would have had to split it up into 4 or 5 posts.

Instead I converted it all to HTML which has no such problems. This limits my options for editing somewhat. To edit it, I'd have to make a new post and then edit the OP here to a link to that new post. Not the most elegant solution but I thought preferable to spreading it out over several posts. And anyway, there's a decent chance it never gets update or edited.

SSL, uSL and STT don't have indexes of their digests in their stickies. So for those three forums I had to make them. But that's really just a matter of using the Search and collecting links.