View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Re: What kind of impact have we been having on members of Congress

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've just started reaching out to friends on the hill in staff positions. I wanted to have something of a firm grasp of the issues before making those calls. Got a good education here....

So far your impression that there is some visibility but they are in a wait and see mode seems valid. The lack of traction for Fletcher in KY with his stance seems to be the short term focus on the hill in this regard.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really want to derail this thread, but I was struck by your last comment regarding hill folks taking a wait-n-see on gambling matters until KY Governors race clears up (at least that's how i read it).

To me, that doesn't make any sense.

Fletcher has been in big trouble for a very long time. His poll numbers and approval ratings have been in the dumps for well over a year, perhaps longer. Using the KY race to bellweather the mood of the country on gambling issues seems like a basic flaw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The GOP to some degree is worried about the anti-gambling forces that pushed through the UIGEA after a 10 year effort. The KY race has turned into a fight over gambling.

The GOP folks I spoke to in this regard know exactly where Fletcher is and his attempt to mobilize his dead campaign with a switch to this issue since a little before Labor day.

The issues isn't if Fletcher wins or looses, that pretty much at this point seems like a done deal. The test is to see if the anti-gambling forces can move the race. Most Hill people I spoke to didn't care what happens to Ernie, they are looking at their own primaries and general elections.

This fall when the inital strategies are mapped out and the issue folks come out of the wood work with offers of help for position platforms is when the effect of either sides efforts on this issue will have value.

If bothsides sit out of a done deal race, then it's credibility that wins the winter planning sessions.

If one makes a move and the other counters and the effects are unknowible or neglible, again the planers revert to past preformance.

One side can make a move an move the race and claim victory in the winter planning sessions.

That was my take on the gambling anti-gambling issue on the Hill in regards to KY's race. No they are not just going to look at the results and pee their pants worring about poker.

D$D