View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: real estate career vs. financial planner

What do you mean by a job in RE? I assume that you mean as a Realtor, so my response will be based on that.

It takes a high school education and a $200 course to become a Realtor. Its easy. There are no barriers to entry at all. The competition is very very very stiff in EVERY market.

After you do about 50 closings and jump through a crapload of hoops and take some more licensing exams you can become a broker. Brokers make more money. They also work very hard.

One thing that you should probably do is get the CCIM certification after you become an agent. CCIM designated realtors know what they're talking about. You'll get more commercial listings w/ the CCIM designation, however, becoming a good commercial agent is not easy - it takes plenty of time and the parties involved in those transactions EXPECT you to know WTF you're doing. So experience is key to building a commerical RE business.

I'm an RE investor. I deal with lots of realtors, and as a group, I can say that realtors are utterly incompetent. 90% of realtors are focused on making sales to regular people. That's dumb because normal people buy a property every seven years (on avg). Investors buy one or two properties or MORE EVERY YEAR! Good, smart realtors develop relationships with RE investors. You can do that buy understanding RE as an investment - most agents don't.