View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Wait! Wait! - A Perfect Example?

<font color="blue"> But even the "standard" illogical approach - "there are two doors and I don't know which is which, so it doesn't matter which I choose" is as good as a coin-flip. </font>

But this isn't the question... The question is a simple 50/50 proposition: Does it MATTER whether or not you switch? The answer is undoubtedly, yes. And you have just admitted that illogical thought will almost always produce the incorrect answer of, "No. It doesn't matter". So clearly, one has a better chance through flipping a coin to arrive at the correct answer of "yes, it matters", than using illogical thought.

There are probably countless better examples than the ones I'm giving. I just can't think of any right now. The last one that comes to mind is hand reading in poker...

Clearly, if you don't think logically (or if your opponent thinks more logically than you do), you are better off not thinking at all and resorting to game theory. Otherwise, illogical thinking when it comes to guessing your opponent's hand, assures you'll have the worst of it. Certainly, you'll be worse off than if you used game theory.

But I can see I'm not going to win this argument. Perhaps it's because I'm wrong. I just don't understand why I'm wrong.