Thread: A rag or 98o?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Re: A rag or 98o?

[ QUOTE ]
The problem in pushing with A,rag is that if someone wakes us with a better ace they're gonna call you...now you're dominated. Whereas you push with 9,8 suited you more than likely have live cards with flush and straight possiblities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being dominated sucks, but you have to consider the whole range and not just the better aces that will call you. AK and AQ are very much dominated by AA too, but that doesn't make it less playable than 98s in a jam/fold spot against a reasonable range of hands (that is, not just AA). Also, what happens when your 98 gets called by 99 or 88, or A9? That's part of a range that will call you and you're awfully dominated there.

There's a typo in my last post... you started with t5,100 chips, not t4,000. It's not really a big deal in the example but I know some nit's going to show up and remind me that I can't count.

But again, these are things you can calculate if you're able to put opponents on ranges (IF you can do it correctly), so it's not really a subjective thing as to which hand is better to push in a given scenario.