View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Overbetting: When to use it?

Overbetting is when you make a bet or raise larger than the size of the pot, sometimes significantly. This is a move that isn't used frequently at lower stakes, but I wanted to have a discussion about it. These are just some initial thoughts and while many of the uses depend on the situations and players involved, I'd appreciate comments on when you use this overbet tactic.

No Limit Holdem gives us the opportunity to apply significant pressure to our opponents by using large bets to try and make them make incorrect decisions.

Commonly, the overbet is used in situations such as:

1. The River Overbet - You've made it to the river and believe that you have the best hand (most times the nuts) and the villian has the 2nd nuts or a hand that can easily call more than the size of the pot.

2. Flop Bet, 3-Bet AI - A common line with a set or big draw against a preflop raiser OOP who we believe has a big overpair is to lead and move AI over a raise.

3. Preflop - Frequently people find spots to ovebet AI preflop with big pairs or ace-king.

Now, while these spots are fairly common, I think they often only represent one angle on overbetting--one where you are certainly ahead.

Yet, overbetting in other situations is far less common. Sometimes this is for good reason. Arguably that we only get calls from hands that beat us and fold out weaker holdings. However, removing this tactic from our playbook really hamstrings things--particularly against opponents who are semi-competent, but on the weak-tight side.

The first example that jumps to mind comes from my own play. Say I am the preflop agressor and cbet the flop with a one-pair hand on a fairly drawless board with someone check-calling me. It's not uncommon for us to try and utlize pot control on the turn and check behind so that we can call a reasonably sized river bet or value bet if checked to. However, if this bet is 2x the size of the pot--I may find myself getting squirrly. Did the guy go for a turn CR and miss, now trying to make up for it?

Just wanted to get the ball rolling for a broader discussion than just hands, but certainly we can use examples to articulate further.