View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Leggo Poker avatars

fwiw Im not trying to be condescending or rip on your idea, or anything like that. Theres no question that the legoppoker converter is by far the best and most comprehensive on the net, and I know that youve put a huge amount of work into it, for free. I also know that youre a long time poster here (I remember your insane rush and consequent hammering [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) and that you have given a LOT to the forums over time.

The point I am a little unsure of is that you are uniquely positioned to take advantage of a huge customer base in 2p2, who all would be aware of and make use of your converter whenever they want to convert a hand. Now when they go to legopoker.com they see that you are offering coaching, which is also fine, but now you have that line drawn between not for profit and business.

Given that the large amount of traffic you attract was once for free, and now is for profit (or will be, eventually), you have to start thinking about how that affects 2p2 from a business perspective. Many advertisers pay good money to have the kind of referred traffic which you currently enjoy for free. The transition from converter to coaching site was of course unplanned and non-malicious from a commercial standpoint, but now that you are a commercial entity, things change a little.

Thats why when you take it to what I see as the "next level" - ie. putting that link in your source code and more specifically putting logos as avatars and custom titles etc you are starting to walk the line between "harmless self-promotion" and "utilitsing 2p2's user base for profit".

Those are my only concerns, and I know that your intentions are good. I just want to make sure that you play by the rules, because if you can advertise in the way you are but Joe Bloggs cant put a URL as his signature, then maybe thats not fair.