View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Does selfishness ever bother you?

[ QUOTE ]
If I can ALWAYS see evidence of something, then isn't there good reason to suspect that that something is true?

In such an extreme, rare cases as the grenade guy, the soldier can still do it because he wants to be a Hero, a good soldier who sacrifices his life for his comrades, country, religion and home. And in his last seconds he can enjoy knowing that he is the kind of man that he respects and will be remembered as a hero. Maybe he also believes that he will then get a (better) afterlife, or maybe his life was hardly worth living anyway in his opinion. And all usual, everyday life situations can easily be explained.

I don't know why people would prefer to assume people are selfish (or bad) unless they want to seek the truth, because living with the thought that everyone truly only cares about him/herself seems very hard for such social beings as us.

I googled that shadow-theory and it's interesting, and seems to fit with psych. egoism. I admit that things I do or think are rarely clearly selfish, and you could say that the clearly selfish things are in my shadow. But I think my seemingly unselfish thoughts have (unconscious) selfish basis too. I disrespect selfishness strongly, and probably that's why I kinda push the obviously selfish part of myself to the shadow, so my conscious mind/ego could keep respecting myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your further responses in this thread, it would appear that you have chosen babble over reason.