Thread: Sweat: FTP $5+1
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Sweat: FTP $5+1

[ QUOTE ]
Im not sure what the "ethical standard" is....exactly how long is proper to wait. 10 minutes? 30 minutes? An hour?

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember a long contentous thread around this issue a year or more ago. (Probably around the same time as the whole ZeeJustin fiasco since it kicked off a bunch of ethics discussion.) There were people on both extremes and everywhere in between.

Since this was on Full Tilt your opponent had 90 seconds to reconnect with their new enhancement (unless he has had connection problems prior to this). I'm not sure what I'd do. If someone on your immediate left disconnects mid-tournament in a non-heads-up situation do you refrain from stealing his blind if it folds to you in the SB? Do you attempt to stall to give him a chance to reconnect? Should how you react here be different when it's heads up? Is stealing chips (and thus EV) different in either situation. The amount of EV you're stealing shouldn't change the ethics of the situation anymore than what you think of the opponent ("if he's an "asshat") should. If you stall to give him additional time to reconnect and fold your small blind to him each time (since he'll automatically be folding his to you) this will keep the chip stacks about the same. But how about if you know that you play better deeper stacked than he does. Is waiting 5 or 10 minutes while the blinds go up at least one level equitable? Is this something that is inherent in playing on the internet and a risk we all take? Paging Siro11.

Personally I try to be as ethical as possible in everything I do. But in this situation I'm not really sure what's right. I don't know if I'd wait beyond his time bank or not. I think I'd be more likely to if the money was more significant or I liked the guy (yes, this means my ethics in practice might not meet my goals).

Congrats on the win regardless.