View Single Post
Old 04-21-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: To Catch a Predator

[ QUOTE ]
Catch a Predator is the most immoral show to ever broadcast on TV imo.

It's not journalism.
It's sadistic to make entertainment out of pedophilia and the criminal justice system.
It's an unethical means of catching criminals.
The law (that many states have) that you can be convicted of child abuse if you chat with a 40 year old woman posing as a child is nonsense in my opinion. I don't think that that doesn't represent some criminal activity, but it definitely isn't the criminal activity suggested by those laws.

anyway, i have posted my thoughts on this matter before on this forum and I was accused of being either a sex offender or a sex offender sympathizer or something. Its kind of disturbing that you can't criticize things like catch a predator without being thought of as crazy.

ultimately, i think its depressing to think how sadistic the average person is and how draconian the average person is in thinking up solutions to the worlds ills.

if you don't think the average person is sadistic. think about how the average person would answer the question "Should people convicted of pedophilia be protected from cruel and unusual punishment?" or perhaps the more leading question "Would it be OK for the government to castrate individuals convicted of pedophilia?" Shows like Catch a Predator just feed that kind of sentiment imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that if it was not a 40 year old, then it would have been a real 12 year old, is the main crux of the problem.

And I don't think the crime is child abuse or sexual assault since they don't actually assault a child...it is most likely attempted sexual assault or whatever...which is much different