View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 02:46 AM

Default Re: college essay help

Third draft, dropped the magic stuff and focused more on theatre. Shortened it some but really need to shorten more of my sentences. What else? Thanks everyone.

The world I came from was in the Moonlight. The Moonlight Amphitheater.
A local semi-professional theater, the Moonlight was my sanctuary for years. Musical Theatre always acted as constant in my life. I performed in musicals every summer, and when I wasn’t performing I was volunteering - selling raffle tickets or ushering, staying involved somehow. The experience was unforgettable.
The performing aspect wasn’t what attracted me, I never minded being in front of people but I never found it that rewarding. However, I could never get enough of the atmosphere. Theatre naturally attracts the outgoing type, and the people I met were the most interesting and diverse group I had ever been a part of. Meeting and watching all of these different people interact showed me how people really should be treated. People in theatre always seemed to be open to people, rejecting childish stereotypes and not passing judgments as I had been exposed to for so long in society.
The summer entering my senior year, I was hired at Moonlight’s restaurant and concession stand. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I started as the cashier for the stand, and slowly started to truly enjoy what I was doing. The work itself was generally bland and unexciting, but the constant interaction with strangers and co-workers was both enjoyable and enlightening. I realized how much I enjoy simply interacting with people.
My experiences performing and working at the Moonlight directly shaped my dream. To always interact with as many people as possible. To not only accept diversity, but to seek and embrace it. To constantly surround myself with new people, and to show everyone the respect they deserve.