View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Will my limit game improve?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it helps. The games are just so different.
For me, limit is about finding tiny bits of value in marginal situations, even against donks much of the time.
Whenever I return to limit now (like yesterday), it takes me 2 orbits to realize you can't really bluff anyone out by repping the flush, and similar stuff.

Especially limit 6-max now, it really is sophisticated poo-flinging much ot the time. Limit has much more choices, but they're all about value.

NL is more about reads, since the ranges are so vastly different per villain. Less choices, but more important ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.. I think playing NL can definitely help your limit game.

When playing NL, you can pass up some thin equity because you can make it up fairly easily. This is not so true in limit and you really begin to see where those small value bets in limit are. I think coming from limit to NL, you will quickly see situations where you routinely bet/raise/peel in limit wash away in NL and turn into calls/folds (though sometimes peeling in NL is correct when it would be a fold in limit). Getting a better understanding of this dynamic will hopefully open your eyes to better value plays in limit.

Also, somewhat poor limit players can really gain by playing NL. IMO, new players to NL should really be tightening up their holdings so they do not get raped repeatedly. This can only be good for the poor limit player whose largest leak is typically playing too loose and the fear of facing monster bets can actually tighten a player up especially if they've been bitten a few times.

There are several aspects of both games that actually do complement the other quite well. Also learning different games, even different game types altogether (ie lolmaha/stud/badugi/etc) can really help in the way a player actually thinks about poker.