View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Lee Jones Reiterates his policy on cheating; BOYCOTT STARS

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this is a silly idea, but why can't Stars just automatically ban more than one account from logging in from the same IP? I understand that you may have a roommate (or more than one) and you guys may like to play the same tournaments, but if you DID happen to end up at a table together are we really supposed to expect that you would hide your screeens from each other and not reveal hole card holdings to each other?

I understand this would complicate things such as people playing from internet cafés and such, and that people who reaally wanted to have multiple horses in a MTT would simply use different ISPs to get unique IP addresses, but to me allowing one connection from one IP address seems like a simple step that would at least eliminate the ease at which people can multi-account.

I'm not asking them to install ADT and lucite windows, just don't leave the damn door wide open for anyone to walk right in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most campuses, for instance, have a single IP public footprint. Internally, everyone at a university has a different non-routable IP address, but when the traffic goes out from the firewall, it will apprear to be coming from one single public IP address. So the one-user-per-IP address thing won't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't mean it wouldn't work - it just means it would make it difficult for students and other similarly situated persons to play. One obvious concern from Stars' standpoint would be the loss of players/revenue. But perhaps that is shortsighted? Since none of us have access to Stars' financial records, we don't have any idea how many players/dollars that Stars would lose if they went to a one IP address/one user system. There is some credence to the thought that, if trust and confidence in online poker is decreased on a large sale, players/dollars could be affected even more severely.