View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Comparing WLLH 3rd edition to 2nd edition

[ QUOTE ]
Barron,

You are comparing apples and oranges here. SSH is simply not a beginner's book, no matter how generous you are with the term.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't consider SSH a beginner's book (and I'm fine with not thinking that it is) then wouldn't you recommend Getting Started in Hold 'em?

Soooo many of my friends are getting into poker with this whole craze and all of them have been through the Triple Threat Tutorial of Getting Started in Hold 'em, Theory of Poker, and Small Stakes Hold 'em ... are we missing something here, because, from here, we have Hold 'em Poker for Advanced Players and, if you're looking for tournament action, Dan Harrington's fine books, and, why not, getting your head into the game with Dr. Al's Psychology of Poker.

While 3rd > 2nd ... I'm not sure most need 3rd ... and there is still advice that I think is hurtful. And, as David Sklansky advised, much like with doctors, poker books should "do no harm" -- and I believe 3rd still has some advice that may be harmful ... maybe it won't lose you money in some spots, but places you should make money, you won't.

It's better ... but I don't think it's part of the necessary lexicon for most players.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com