View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Argh property rights debate

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I value living in a society where people don't take $100 bills from others, then I'd want to get my $100 bill from the guy that stole it or teach him a lesson to not do that again. Simple as that. No appeal to rights, and no inconsistency with the fact that I won't replace it with another $100 taken from an old lady.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with any of that.

[ QUOTE ]
And where again in your "ORLY" response did you show that the poster believed that any $100 bill will do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone buys something from you for $10. Do you care which $10 bill he gives you?

[/ QUOTE ]

What does your question have to do with me stealing $100 from a sleeping old lady?

And yes, if someone wants to give me $100 that I just saw them take from a sleeping old lady, I do care. I care because that's not the kind of society I want to live in and I know such a society is not in my (or my childrens' best interest).

I really don't understand your continued use of this line of reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're conflating the two questions.

The post I replied to (from goodsamaritan IIRC) suggested that rights didn't matter, he had $100, no longer has it, and wants it back.

If getting it back is the important thing, and rights are unimportant, then he shouldn't have any problem getting it back in the easiest way possible. Dollars are fungible, and there's no rational reason to prefer one $100 bill over another.

In the example where someone buys something from you, he has six or seven $10 bills in his wallet. You don't know anything about any of them, other than they are all denominated as $10 and you have no reason to believe that any of them are counterfeit or stolen (or more precisely you don't have any way to determine that one of them is more or less likely to be bogus than any other one of them).

Do you care which one he gives you? Are you going to ask to see all of his $10 bills, examine them all and pick the one you want? A yes or no will suffice here.