View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Post if your wife is pregnant

Looking back on this is good. It’s helping me get ready for the next one.
update: we're expecting a girl

2 days before she went into labor, we went to the park and played basketball. We didn’t think anything of it at the time. Now it seems the physical activity was responsible for the baby coming about a week early.
On new years eve we went to the movies. We saw the life aquatic. The theater was empty so we hung around for oceans 12 too. It was around this time when her mucous plug came out. It wasn’t too gross. It was a lot smaller than I expected.
She had her first contraction at home that night. Oh well, that put an end to my new years eve plans! It was go-time. I timed them for her and tried to sleep between contractions. The doc told us to call her when they were a certain frequency. That’s when I called her at 5 am on January 1. Doc was not too concerned. (Probably was out partying all night.) Wife was not in a lot of pain. Doc said just call her back if they increase.
I kept notes the whole time. (I wonder if I still have those.) This was how I tried to be helpful. We are very glad we did early labor at home. Both of us knew the baby was on its way, but we didn’t worry about it. We didn’t even talk about it really. We just played cards and ate spaghetti. When the contractions started getting close enough, I called the doc again. Doc said go in now, early afternoon.
When I got to the reception area, they gave wife a wheelchair and to me the paperwork. I think she was dilated 6cm at this point. The nurses were pleasantly surprised. They said this would be quick. Her water never did break on its own. Doc did the amniocentesis. Then wife pushed for about 45 minutes. Then a bunch of disgusting stuff happened down there. Doc asked if she could cut a little. Wife said sure. I kept my head at her eye level. The doctor’s job is to worry about the other end. I held her hand. Breathed with her. Push push push….
At 6:50pm we had a baby boy. I cut the cord! Proudest day of my life. I wouldn’t have changed a thing. They both did great.
It was a tiring ordeal. It still is, in fact. That’s about all I can say.
If she wants a drug-free labor, it is possible. I repeat, early labor at home FTW. The hospital may try to influence her decisions. It’s your family. Don’t take any risk you’re not comfortable with. Don’t give up any control you’ll want to take back. Above all, keep your mind open to the joy and surprise that await you. A healthy baby is worth whatever it takes.

Birth Weight: 7.00 lb. Height: 20.75"