View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Is Neo-Atheism The Way to Go? [Poll]

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah...

[ QUOTE ]
Somehow, I guess, they think of you as two people - the atheist who shouldn't even be a citizen and the atheist who is a great neighbor and businessman to deal with. I don't buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "neighbor" thing I've never seen. You're in the US and people think atheists are good neighbors? Can you back that up?

The business thing... Well, atheists are "good at business" the way Jews are "good at business." If you catch my drift.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was approaching it as a martian. Finding out that atheists are deemed unfit for citizenship by a president and unfit for office by a large majority of the population would have me predict that they are not held in high regard and are repressed in other social instances ... without even hearing about them. As a rational martian I couldn't conceive of atheists being considered 'equal' and not discriminated against in business or the general mix on the political data I had.

I know they are, with some pockets of exception, I was challenging the concept that reality could be "well, heck, so you can't just run for federal office, big deal".

luckyme