View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Re: The Ultra-Fi thread

[ QUOTE ]
OP and several others in this thread, I used to work for a high-end audio store. You are what the salesman would have called "bread-and-butter". You would have been mentioned at Thanksgiving when it was time to say what you were thankful for.

That said, things have come a long freaking way in 10 years. I started to become a tiny bit of an car-audiophile, so I get the concept. But I just feel like you're always chasing the buzz of that first upgrade to a high-class system, when all your music sounds new again. It seems like every upgrade after that is diminishing returns.

But I dunno, I'm not sure I've heard a system as well laid out as the one you describe. Do you still feel like all your music is new when you make some big coherence breakthrough or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem you describe is what happens when you don't think about and experiment with system design; if your system doesn't improve on a conceptual level, then you're never going to be really happy with the results.

This is actually one of the things that the hifi market taylors to: the designs stay the same fundamentally and people are stuck upgrading forever in miniscule ways.