View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Man kills 2 People While 911 Is Telling Him Not To

I don't understand some of you guys at all, except from an emotional "Violence is always bad" perspective. I especially don't get the gun control angle. Shotguns are legal everywhere. I live in one of the most restrictive jurisdictions anywhere and people have them.

The guy called the cops. The cops weren't going to get there in time. If he was watching his neighbor getting raped, voluntarily "entering a potentially life-threatening situation" would have been perfectly justified. Refusing to enter a dangerous situation you are completely prepared to deal with is pussified.

The fact that it was thievery and not rape or murder he was preventing complicates things. If the theives were trying to burn the house down, I'd have intervened. Light his car on fire, I'd have intervened. But if the car was a $200 beater, maybe not, because I would understand the possibility of having my hand forced and people dying over somebody getting away with torching a beater isn't worth it to me. But I could understand somebody else coming to a different conclusion.

With a home invasion, it's a little confusing, but I can certainly understand where someone might come to the decision of stopping the theives.

I also understand his reaction to the 911 operator who (foolishly, IMO) said "You're going to get shot." Someobdy with a shotgun and the drop on the theives is probably not going to get shot. "It's not worth somebody getting killed over, we're almost there" might have played better.

Once he went outside, I have no idea what happened apart from the fact that it appears he told them to stop. Given he called the cops, and gave a verbal warning, and is the guy looking out for his neighbor rather than robbing him, he certainly gets the benefit of the doubt from me. If it turns out they froze and he just murdered them, he should pay the price for that. But jumping to that conclusion makes zero sense to me given the facts. They probably did something stupid and got shot. That's unfortunate, but their own fault. Don't be stupid.