View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

[ QUOTE ]
When someone I think have fulfilled everything required for him being executed I dont want or need a reversable solution. Those criminals that I feel are deserving of this penalty I think we are better off without, and dont want them in prison or anywhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]

BUT...

When you put such a law in place based on subjective criteria for "execution eligibility" then the subjective nature of the criteria will inevitably lead to ever-expanding application of the law. We are talking about murder and punishment/revenge. These are emotionally charged events where passionate reactions are likely to rule (see OP) if there is not a clear, objective criteria for application. If you want to say "everyone who is videotaped doing crime X and DNA evidence is found and two eye witnesses are available and the victim was a minor" or something, then you have a chance of controlling the scope of your law. But when you say "let's execute everyone found guilty of really bad crimes and only when we're really sure" you are inviting disaster.