View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You said it sent a weird message if we said "listen children, its wrong to kill so sometimes when people do it we kill them".

This is no different than saying "listen children, its wrong to rob people from their freedom so sometimes when people do it we rob them from their freedom".

Whatever reasoning you have for imprisoning people it still is taking away their freedom, no matter how noble your motives for doing so are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really care for your semantic hogwash about two sentences that look alike. I could explain to kids that the man murdered a man, and therefore he should die - that isn't the point. And yes the sentences look alike but they are not.

Punishment and revenge are two different things, and if you can't see that I have no idea why you are even in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

The principle is exactly the same, and Im pretty sure you know it too.

And why do you make the assumption that my reasoning for the death penalty is based on revenge, and not punishment? If you read through the thread you will find a post where I point out that I do not think that "but someone might feel that being executed is getting off softly, and life in prison would be far worse" is a good argument, because its not about me wanting the convicted to suffer as much as possible (which would be revenge), its about the solution I feel is best for society.

If I was in favor of revenge as a form of punishment I would also be a proponent of torture and rape of those who have committed those crimes, but I can assure you I am not.